Order your free Superior Country Travel Guide Today!
In October 1956 a BOOKMOBILE from Thunder Bay braved the Heron Bay Ferry to bring books to Manitouwadge. At the time there was no highway after Marathon – just a ferry crossing and winding, dirt roads! The organizers who were trying to provide Library Service to Manitouwadge were very happy when it was proven that the Bookmobile was not too heavy for the Ferry!
The first shipment of books were displayed on a spare door, propped up on trestles, in the basement of Mrs. Phyllis Bray’s home at #7 Neebig Avenue. Mrs. Bray was the first Librarian in Manitouwadge from 1956 – 1967. The other four locations of the library included the Hudson Bay Store from January 1957 to January 1960. Then the library moved to Camp 17 and in 1961 to 1965 the library was in it’s own building located near the current Municipal office.
Then, in June 1965 the library moved to the Recreation Centre, where it is still located today. This space was designed from the very beginning for library use and has proved very functional. In 1995 major interior changes were undertaken. This included the modification of the circulation and office area, which provided a more efficient, stream, lined circulation area.